Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hyper-V Motherboards

Welcome to my Hyper-V blog! I am a consultant in the bay area specializing in Microsoft infrastructure technologies. My focus includes SharePoint, hardware and software virtualization, and remote access (Terminal Services, Citrix, SSL VPN).

Now that Microsoft's Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V is ready, I thought I would share some tips, tricks, and best practices. For my first entry, I am going to discuss lab quality hardware.

With shrinking budgets and economic downturns, many companies do not want to purchase high end Dell or HP servers for a virtualization lab. Hyper-V requires Windows Server 2008 x64, an Intel VT or AMD-V processor, and compatible drivers. If you are looking to purchase lab hardware, you'll need to start with a motherboard.

Hyper-V supported motherboards:

Asus P5BV-E (WHQL, has 2008 Drivers, features 2 NICS!)
Asus M2A-VM (using Vista x64 Drivers, only one NIC)

If you would like to add to the list, please email me with the name, drivers, and CPU you have used. Our lab is running an Asus M2A-VM, AMD 9850, and 8GB of RAM. Consider running a RAID 5 array as disk I/O tends to be the bottleneck for Hyper-V.

Jim

6 comments:

Aurimas N. said...

hey, how do I know if motherboard I want to buy will support hyper-v?
the motherboard I want to get is this http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5100/X7DCL-3.cfm

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for your details on "Hyper-V Motherboards".

Regards,
VirtualHead

Jim Bricker said...

Look at the motherboard manual. I opened the supermicro manual and it does support intel VT.

Anonymous said...

Don't use RAID 5 as it has to high an overhead for virtualisation. Instea consider using a RAID 1 + 0 setup (the more spindles the better).

Ian

Anonymous said...

We had to replace the motherboard on one of our core hyper-v hosts today and now hyper-v will not start with the new logic board. Is there a bind between the original install and hardware?...Thanks for any insight!!

Jim Bricker said...

Have you checked your bios settings? If th OS is running ok, you probably just need to enable the virtualization setting in the bios.